I saw several signs similar to this one posted around the perimeter of a church parking lot. The signs also stated "church parking only, violators will be towed". The signage was sizeable and numerous.
(NOTE: This is not a CCSC church.)
While churches and ministries need to protect their properties, these signs made me uncomfortable. I'd prefer wording that was more diplomatic and didn't have an unwritten "go away" message communicated.
I'm more drawn to hospitality because Jesus offered it so generously. For this reason, we are intentional in creating it at CCSC, especially in our communication style, even when we need to say "no".
The most important way to measure our success is to ask for feedback, both formally and informally. Below are comments we received in 2015 from those we served:
- Thank you, I was treated with courtesy and respect.
- You showed sincere concern for me.
- This program has changed my life and my children's lives.
- This was the first time I needed assistance, and you were so helpful.
- I thank God every day for the peace and love in this place. (from a volunteer)
- Y'all showed me there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I started a job last week!